Whew- what a week! Jamie's post on New Year's Eve made me tear up a little. Looking back on this year, it's so easy to forget that all the moments of stress and mayhem sprinkled amongst the joy, actually made the sweet moments even sweeter, and with time will seem funny or make great stories to tell our kids. My mom was recently telling me while I was stressing with an ear infection and an unpacked apartment, how we unexpectedly had to live with my grandparents for 3 months while crazy people refused to leave the house they bought. I never knew this and they were laughing about how we (a 4, 2 and 1 year old) all overstayed our welcome at our Grandparents until we were able to move in...on Christmas Eve (!) It was so stressful and horrible for them at the time, but it's a part of their story now. I tried to remind ourselves of that while our dishwasher started spewing water everywhere and the heat went out in our new apartment on the first night. We will tell Evie this one day and honestly, that story is already funny looking back a whole 48 hrs later.
So here's to 2016 and to fresh starts, but probably the same ol' mess. And that's okay, because messy isn't always perfect, but it's always interesting and often makes for a great story.
Here are a few links to distract yourself while you drink wine and watch Downton instead of unpacking...
- I became obsessed with this show on Netflix while procrastinating unpacking last night. It's so quintessentially British and everyone is so earnest, nice and lovely - it's so relaxing to watch.
- Start your new year off fresh - at least on your iPhone - 13 Settings You Should Change Right Now. (via SwissMiss)
- Here is an app that makes you slow down a little. It's a game called, Pause, "which has enough structure to keep your attention, but is free-form enough to let you relax your mind"
- And an app to keep you focused.
- Home trends to look out for in 2016.
- Serial Season 3: Seinfeld - made me laugh.
- A cute way to be inspired to work out and keep your resolution.
Have a great first week of 2016!
(above photos of Christmas morning walks and shnuggles via our instagrams)