You know how you always think of your best Halloween costume ideas the day after Halloween? Well my gift-giving brainstorming works kind of like that- on MY birthday, I can come up with a list a mile long of lovely gifts I'd love to receive. But when a good friend's birthday is approaching, I draw a total blank, freaking out in search of a worthy present. Now that I'm very much fully pregnant and in serious nesting mode, I've got tons of cute baby essentials on the brain - old favorites I've unpacked from my early days with Vivi, as well as new things I've been Pinning away like mad. So if you've got a baby shower coming up, or want to send a gift to a friend who's just delivered, here are some outside-the-registry basics that would make timeless gifts for all types of babies or mamas.
1. A simple, whimsical something for the nursery wall. Nothing major that needs framing, just something bright that can be tucked up with no hassle.
2. A moses basket is one of those classic baby items that has become sort of obsolete with all the newfangled gear out there, so people rarely buy them for themselves. But even if she's got the space-age mechanical seat that spirals in 12 different ways and plays 8 tunes, this simple basket still isn't redundant. It makes for adorable baby photos - and provides a great place to coral toy piles as the baby grows. You can buy them with sweet bedding or give a plain one with a sheepskin throw.
4. You could always just give the new mama or mama-to-be a little something just for herself, like cans of sparkling wine (it's been a long, dry 40 weeks!) or this amazing luminizer, to help her achieve that "glow" everyone's always talking about. Baby will be spoiled enough!
5. My husband and I used our Maya Wrap ring sling every day when Vivi was an infant - there's nothing cozier than a baby butt curled up in a little sling! And even now that she's a toddler, I still pull it out to help me hold her on my hip when we go on long walks or to the beach. While more heavy-duty carriers like the Ergo or Baby Bjorn make pretty much everyone's registry, this simple low-tech sling is still nice to have as a pretty alternative.
6. I love these kimono onesies by L'ovedbaby for newborns and small infants. They're simple and organic, so they fill the need for basics, but the muted palette is unique and makes them a little more special. Plus the side-wrap style is super convenient for novice baby-dressers with squirming targets!
7. A simple, pretty kids' dinnerware set to grow into - made from biodegradable bamboo instead of plastic.
8. Okay, maybe not the most practical crib shoe, but Chuck Taylors come in infant sizes and never go out of style!