What's Galentine's day? Let Leslie Knope (from the best TV show, Parks and Rec) explain...
"Oh, it’s only the best day of the year! Every Feb. 13, my lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it breakfast style! Ladies celebrating ladies. It’s like Lilith Fair minus the angst. Plus frittatas.”
Galentine's day is a day to celebrate the ladies in your life and the special friendship they bring you all year long, that a dude - no matter how awesome and great - could never replicate. Jamie and I are really lucky to have such amazing ladies in our lives and since we couldn't get our act together in time for a Galentine's Day Brunch this year, here are a few things we would love to give our lady friends, moms and sisters included. These gifts are perfect for the ladies in your life who always make you laugh, have helped you through many a breakup, makeup and bad date, who send you funny text messages throughout the work day, watch bad reality TV with you without judgement, and who help you through terrible haircuts (or when you accidentally dye your hair orange).
From left to right:
- A book from a funny, inspiring lady like Mindy, Tina or Amy.
- The Ultimate Guide to Single Ladies art print.
- A delicate bracelet from Catbird (I got this for my sisters a few weeks ago and I love it. I want it for myself!)
- A Galentine's Day gift box from Box Fox which includes a candle, matches, a heart sparkler, rock candy, decorative florals and a handwritten card. (Order by tonight or tomorrow to get there in time!)
- The perfect Galentine's Day card
- Finally, since Leslie loves breakfast more than anything, an Achieve Eggcellence cooking class at Brooklyn Kitchen that you can take with your lady friend, where you learn the art of making the most important meal of the day, including "booze, coffee and breakfast (the three Sunday food groups)"
So, this year pick up a gift for your favorite lady, or in true Leslie Knope fashion, make a craft in her honor, like a mosaic portrait of her made out of crushed bottles of her favorite diet soda. (This craft would be cute if you don't have time for a mosaic.) Getting a gift isn't mandatory to celebrate this holiday, however simply hanging out with your favorite lady friend is. This year, I will be celebrating a little late with a few of my favorite gals on Sunday night. Just remember: Hos before bros, uteruses before duderuses and ovaries before brovaries.
*If you don't watch Parks and Recreation (ahem, Jamie) and this post doesn't make any sense at all, you are missing out, go watch it!