Here's a trick AND treat in one for costumed kiddos who come knocking on your door this weekend. Instead of a bowl of candy for plunging their hands into (and then re-plunging and plunging again and maybe just one more plunge), surprise them instead with these festive balloon "piñatas." You're giving them candy, sure, but they're gonna have to figure out how to get it out!
PUMPKIN BALLOON PINATA How-To
You Will Need
- black and orange balloons
- wide-mouthed plastic bottle to use as funnel (optional)
- Sharpie markers in white and black
- small pieces of candy
- Stuff as much candy as you can into balloons. You can cut the top off of a wide-mouthed plastic bottle to use it as a funnel if you like - I did mine half with and half without and found both methods challenging but do-able in their own way.
- Blow up balloons and decorate with Jack-o-Lantern faces or the design of your choice.
- Set them out for trick-or-treaters and watch them figure out how to break in for the goodies. We used a thumbtack on ours, but as any self-respecting kid will tell you, there are many ways to pop a balloon...
The startling POP adds an extra Halloweeny spookiness to getting your candy out.
Vivi, my little lion cub, was a big fan of the cute pumpkin face and percussion-y sound they made...but was totally perplexed about how to get to that candy at the bottom. She figured it out eventually, though, and a serious love of Swedish fish was born. Welcome to Halloween, Vivi!
(all photos, jamie grill photography)